Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

 

In Association with Amazon.com



Nickname

Password

Security Code
Security Code
Type Security Code


Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

  
Root Beer World: Forums

 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using essential oils in recipie?
 
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hildy
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan


Joined: Oct 22, 2005
Posts: 8
Location: St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

I am going to keep posting. Eventually someone has to respond.

Typically essential oils, from what I have heard, do not mix well with water. Anyone ever try a recipie with essential oils?
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur


Joined: Oct 13, 2004
Posts: 159
Location: IL, USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

Most essential oils are water soluble at a rate of several drops per gallon, but, unless first emulsified, they will take a very long time to dissolve.

There are two ways to expedite dissolution.

1. Put it in a blender with water and blend at high speed for 5 minutes.

2. First, dissolve essential oil in at least 90% water soluble carrier such as alcohol, glycerine or propylene glycol. Then add to water and shake.

BTW, make sure you use food grade essential oils and don't use more than 1 drop per gallon of water.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hildy
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan


Joined: Oct 22, 2005
Posts: 8
Location: St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

aruzinsky wrote:
Most essential oils are water soluble at a rate of several drops per gallon, but, unless first emulsified, they will take a very long time to dissolve.

There are two ways to expedite dissolution.

1. Put it in a blender with water and blend at high speed for 5 minutes.

2. First, dissolve essential oil in at least 90% water soluble carrier such as alcohol, glycerine or propylene glycol. Then add to water and shake.

BTW, make sure you use food grade essential oils and don't use more than 1 drop per gallon of water.


Thanks for the tips aruzinsky. For some reason the email notification that a post has been responded to goes directly to my email spam folder. As a result, I had no idea you had posted a reply untill a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered some essential oil and blended it. It worked wonderfully! Why do you recommend no more than one drop per gallon?
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur


Joined: Oct 13, 2004
Posts: 159
Location: IL, USA

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

Hildy wrote:

I ordered some essential oil and blended it. It worked wonderfully! Why do you recommend no more than one drop per gallon?


I was probably being over general. Some essential oils such as birch oil are toxic at high levels and less than 1 drop/gal are needed to give proper taste.

What essential oils did you use?
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hildy
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan


Joined: Oct 22, 2005
Posts: 8
Location: St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

aruzinsky wrote:
Hildy wrote:

I ordered some essential oil and blended it. It worked wonderfully! Why do you recommend no more than one drop per gallon?


I was probably being over general. Some essential oils such as birch oil are toxic at high levels and less than 1 drop/gal are needed to give proper taste.

What essential oils did you use?


I am using wintergreen. I have used two drops for the fist gallon and the taste is overshadowed by the sassafras root bark powder.

If I remember correctly, you haven't used wintergreen, but do you happen to know if it is as toxic as birch oil?
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur


Joined: Oct 13, 2004
Posts: 159
Location: IL, USA

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

Hildy wrote:

I am using wintergreen. I have used two drops for the fist gallon and the taste is overshadowed by the sassafras root bark powder.

If I remember correctly, you haven't used wintergreen, but do you happen to know if it is as toxic as birch oil?


Both wintergreen and birch oil are practically all methyl salicylate. You can google "methyl salicylate" for toxicity information.

I suspect that you didn't remove the bark from the brew brefore adding the wintergreen oil. Roughage such as bark absorbs essential oils. You should filter the brew before adding essential oils. Then less than 1 drop per gallon should be adequate.

Incidentally, other essential oils used in rootbeer include star anise, allspice and corriander.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hildy
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan


Joined: Oct 22, 2005
Posts: 8
Location: St. Paul, MN

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

Actually, I did remove the bark before adding the oil. I suspect the sassafreas overshadowed the wintergreen becasuse of the amount I used and lenght of time I simmered the brew. I will decrease both and see what happens.

Have you created rootbeer using just oils? If so, what quantities did you use? I am assuming you used more quantities of wintergreen then anice, coriander and allspice. If so, what ratios did you use?

I know I have thanked you previously but let me thank you again for all your information. It is proving most helpful.

aruzinsky wrote:

Both wintergreen and birch oil are practically all methyl salicylate. You can google "methyl salicylate" for toxicity information.

I suspect that you didn't remove the bark from the brew brefore adding the wintergreen oil. Roughage such as bark absorbs essential oils. You should filter the brew before adding essential oils. Then less than 1 drop per gallon should be adequate.

Incidentally, other essential oils used in rootbeer include star anise, allspice and corriander.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur


Joined: Oct 13, 2004
Posts: 159
Location: IL, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Using essential oils in recipie? Reply with quote

Hildy wrote:
Actually, I did remove the bark before adding the oil. I suspect the sassafreas overshadowed the wintergreen becasuse of the amount I used and lenght of time I simmered the brew. I will decrease both and see what happens.

Have you created rootbeer using just oils? If so, what quantities did you use? I am assuming you used more quantities of wintergreen then anice, coriander and allspice. If so, what ratios did you use?

I know I have thanked you previously but let me thank you again for all your information. It is proving most helpful.


Actually, I haven't made rootbeer from scratch since the late 1970s and I don't remember the ingredient amounts. Back then, I tried many different ingredients including essential oils. I still have many of the essential oils that I purchased back then.

However, for guideline ratios see:
http://www.root-beer.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=121&sid=a64a1256fb69eec0e64ca9d29501b0f1

Nowadays, I just modify Diet A&W by adding sassafras oil at the rate of about 0.5 drops per gallon. Occasionally, I will test other ingredients to see how well they blend flavorwise with A&W. For example, I found that ethyl vanillin blends well, but does not change the flavor much which suggests to me that A&W already has a large amount of some vanilla like substance.
  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 
 Page 1 of 1

 

Jump to:   
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001-2008 phpBB Group
Forums ©
Page Generation: 0.05 Seconds