Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SodaStream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: SodaStream Reply with quote

See Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

I first heard about this when Sean Hannity advertised it on his radio show.

According to Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!, enough root beer flavoring for 12 liters costs $4.99 ($0.83 per two liters).

According to Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! enough CO2 for 120 liters cost $29.99 ($0.50 per two liters).

So, excluding the startup cost, this soda costs $1.33 per 2 liters. Where I live, I can usually buy big brand names such as Mug and A&W on sale for $1 per two liter bottle. Store brands such as Big K cost around $0.75 per 2 liters. Seems to me that SodaStream is marketing to suckers.

But, if you add your own Root beer flavoring, the cost can drop to almost $0.50 per 2 liters. In the video, flavoring is added after carbination. Does anyone know whether flavoring can be added before carbonation without voiding the warranty?

Peter
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SodaStream Reply with quote

It's not really a warranty issue, it just doesn't work to add the flavor first - trying to pressure carbonate with flavor already added causes extreme rapid expansion (think shaking up a can and opening it). It's not a problem though - adding the flavor afterwards works fine, and you don't have to add their crap, you can add your own after and it works fine.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SodaStream Reply with quote

But, the obvious alternative is to buy a seltzer bottle such as this,

http://www.creamright.com/product/SODA-MO-100-BA.html for $40.

I know from experience that you can add flavor before carbonation. And, the CO2 cartridges here

http://www.creamright.com/product/SODA-110-KAY.html

cost $0.40 per liter of soda.

Peter wrote:
It's not really a warranty issue, it just doesn't work to add the flavor first - trying to pressure carbonate with flavor already added causes extreme rapid expansion (think shaking up a can and opening it). It's not a problem though - adding the flavor afterwards works fine, and you don't have to add their crap, you can add your own after and it works fine.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SodaStream Reply with quote

Peter wrote:

I bought two Primo Flavorstation 110s for $30 each on Ebay. That's the same price as a CO2 tank. The Primo website "store locator" falsely lists stores as distributors. I went to three listed stores and they never heard of Primo. The CO2 tank is the same kind that is used for paintball. Supposedly, some paintball dealers can refill the tanks cheaply but it isn't food grade CO2. Otherwise, you have to buy a replacement tank from Primo. Thus, you may as well buy an entire Flavorstation just to get the tank. It's still a better deal than SodaStream.

I have successfully used this to carbonate artificially sweetened root beer. Success depends on the amounts and types of solutes in the root beer. Root beer made only with small amounts of essential oils and flavor chemicals, but NO FOAMING agents, can easily be carbonated with the Primo Flavorstation, although it voids the warrantee. I flavor one gallon of water, at a time, before carbonation. I doubt that this would work with sugar sweetened root beer. Also, if sugar gets into the release valve, it will gum it up. There are no such problems with artificial sweeteners such as aspartame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: