Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History Margo Bonded Root Beer Aged in Wood Boston, Ma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve12
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: History Margo Bonded Root Beer Aged in Wood Boston, Ma Reply with quote

All my life I've had these two old Margo Root Beer Bonded and Aged in Wood glasses with a 1 ounce syurp line with red writing. Being from Boston, as well as my parents, I wondered about the company. I found just one photo of a logo on this site. This site also provided me with Lenox Ave, Boston, MA. So, I dug through the Internet.
I found the company was actually the Lenox Company, a distributor of flavored syurps including Margo Root Beer. The Lenox Company was housed in what was originally a mercantile shipping warehouse on the Boston Harbour and built in 1846. Now, addressed as 158 State Street, Boston, Ma. (block from Faneuil Hall) The building was designed by Gridley James Fox Bryant (1816-1899), a famous 19th century architect and builder whose projects included Boston's Old City Hall and one of the additions to the Boston State House amoung others.
In the 1940s or 1950s, the Lenox Company went out of business and the building was taken over by the Harbourside Inn and converted to 54 rooms. The Harbourside decided to keep the original wooden barrels used to make Margo's. They operated Margo's Bistro off of the lobby. Until 2006, when the Harbourside rennovated again (98 rooms) you could still get a Margo's Root Beer or Margo's Root Beer Martini made in the original barrels. Sad end to to an interesting history.
Here is the head and wonder of Root Beer.  Two months ago, and PRIOR to my research into my mystery glasses-When they were still a burning mystery to me needing to be quenched. The wife and I decided to make a weekend at the Harbour...and can you guess where we randomly stayed? Yes, the Harbourside Inn, albeit six years too late. Ah, the romance of Root Beer.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, Steve12 - I updated the listing with credit to you. I was in Boston this summer and of course visited Faneuil Hall...wish I could have tried it, too...

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: