Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24 Hours!??? What the......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDHertzer
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: 24 Hours!??? What the...... Reply with quote

Newbie...my grandmother used to make root beer for us kids when I was small it was good but too sharpe on the yeast flavor for me. I am a Beer brewer and ran into a friend who brewed root beer and he brought some over and it just started the ball rolling. I just did my first batch using Champagne yeast...the box says 4 days to root beer...my friend who is a great brewer told me I need at least a week or so for it to carbonate. To be honest...things are not looking good on this end...lol...I read another post who said his is up in 24Hrs....Holy Cow! I looked the the book of RB and I can't find little stuff you only find out from people who have the experience. Can ya'll point me in the direction for the "Points" I need to know to have a successful brew...thx

steveb
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a newbie. I have tried about 5 batches of rootbeer in 2 liter bottles, but they all just have too much yeast taste. The 1st four batches I used a 1/4 teaspoon of ale yeast, but I am still getting too strong of a yeast flavor. The 5th batch I used about 1/8 of a teaspoon dissolved in water and then passed it through a coffee filter. I haven't tried this bottle yet, so I don't know if I eliminated much of the yeast flavor. The bottle was hard in about 3 days. I have noticed it really depends on the temperature of the room the bottle is stored in while "brewing." If the room is 80 degrees, you may be done in 24 hours. If the room is 68, it may take longer. Any other hints would be appreciated from the more experienced brewers.

Lazy8244
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 24 Hours!??? What the...... Reply with quote

I've done a whole 2 batches now... and Got a nice carbonation in 30 hours using a 1/4 teaspoon fer 2.25 gallons... Champaign yeast, room at 68f... Its not quite too bubbly, but its definatly got more fiz then stuff outa a 2 liter.

jamesanderson
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so your grandma will allow you to drink beers? What the... my mom never want me to..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: