Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Root Beer Available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz4
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to root beer itself, the availability of Root Beer here in the UK is ridiculous. The only root beer I can get my hands on is Bundaberg which I can get in my local super-market. The other brand "Carter's" isn't exactly delicious so I want to experience proper root beer. I really like Bundadberg but because I haven't tasted other brands it's pretty biased, what do you guys think of Bundaberg, and where can I get propperly brewed, American style root beer?

thanks,
Sam.

Soda-MN-Good
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

Between my brother and I, we have tried about 100 different brands of root beer. Trying to stay with just brands in glass. (Mug and others are not available)

Of the 100 we have tried. I'd say Bundaberg falls in at about 97, that's with 1 being best. It had a rooty/cough syrup taste to it. However, it did fair better than Faygo and Natural brew root beer, which both made it down the drain quite fast. Oh yes, and Steaz root beer tea was probably the worst.

The problem with your situation is that there are no bottles (to my knowledge) in the UK that bottle root beer. Even the Bundaberg is an import from Australia.

I'm sure plenty ofvendors here would love to fill your needs as well. Problem is that as of May 15 of 2008, the post office no longer ships via surface mail. So I used to be able to ship 20+ bottles in one box to any country for about $80 and it would get the in a month or two.

Now the only option is air mail. Which raises the price to about $300.

The post office does offer a "flat rate" box. Nice thing about it it it's $39 anywhere in the world really. Problem with it is it will only hold about 4 bottles and those cannot be guaranteed not to break as they do not fit perfectly with packing materials.

the best option for you.... Build up some relationship with some larger food markets out there and work together a container full order from one of the soda suppliers out here. it may end up being 2,400+ cases of soda. But if you have markets interested and have them make pre orders with deposits. You could cover the cost of the product and shipping and take from the stock what you want to try. Could make for a pretty lucrative business if people are will to pay the markup after shipping.

Just my 2 cents

jazz4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. I have looked at the companies over here who import all the stuff and it is very expensive, "American Soda" isn't that bad. There are soda shops in London but they charge ridiculous prices just for a can of A&W. I might just have to turn on the charm for the super-markets even though the people who run them are more boring and un-enthusiastic as corpses.

thanks man,
Sam Cool

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

jazz4 wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to root beer itself, the availability of Root Beer here in the UK is ridiculous. The only root beer I can get my hands on is Bundaberg which I can get in my local super-market. The other brand "Carter's" isn't exactly delicious so I want to experience proper root beer. I really like Bundadberg but because I haven't tasted other brands it's pretty biased, what do you guys think of Bundaberg, and where can I get propperly brewed, American style root beer?

thanks,
Sam.

You may not even like good root beer because it is an acquired taste.

Do you have cream (vanilla) soda in the UK? If so, you could import root beer concentrate (see home brewing section) and add it to cream soda. Typically, root beer has a lot of vanilla flavoring anyway, so it won't make a difference.

jazz4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

yeah your right, however I don't think I'm going to brew my own because I'm not confident with my brewing skills and I'm lazy. What would be the best "introductory root beer"? as in something that embodies the classic American root beer taste. (if that makes sense to anyone)...

cheers.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

jazz4 wrote:
yeah your right, however I don't think I'm going to brew my own because I'm not confident with my brewing skills and I'm lazy.

Oh please! This is not brewing in any sense of the word.

1. Take the screw cap off a 2 liter plastic bottle of cream soda.
2. Add root beer concentrate.
3. Screw the cap back on.
4. Agitate slightly.
5. Refrigerate until cold.
6. Take off the cap.
7. Pour into a glass.
8. Drink it.

jazz4 wrote:
What would be the best "introductory root beer"? as in something that embodies the classic American root beer taste. (if that makes sense to anyone)...

A&W is the most popular root beer. Its flavor is predominantly that of vanilla and wintergreen. However, modern A&W does not embody a "classic" root beer taste because classic root beer was flavored with safrole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safrole

which was banned in the USA from food around 1962 and was recently deemed a controlled substance because illegal drugs can be manufactured from it. Nothing else tastes like safrole.

jazz4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Root Beer Available Reply with quote

I got some A&W, amazing stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: