Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fully Fermented Hard Root Beer type drink

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisisasavage
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Fully Fermented Hard Root Beer type drink Reply with quote

I'm new here, so I hope this is appropriate to post this. I'm looking for help brewing an early American style root beer, as in a fully fermented beer flavored like root beer (Something Sam Adams 1790 like).

I've had problems finding recipes for something like that. I do beer already, and have everything I need.

I was thinking about just trying it, but would like to look at what other people do if possible.

I currently have the following items:

2-Row Pale Malt
Pale LME
Pale DME
Honey Malt
Crystal 40L Malt
Crystal 60L Malt
Crystal 120L Malt
Chocolate Malt
Molasses
Wintergreen Leaves
Vanilla Beans
Sarsaparilla
Anise Pods
A brewers Licorice stick
Licorice Root
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast
Some brewers yeast.
Maltodextrin
Spruce Essence
Cascade Hops

I'm thinking I can do something with all that. I've been looking for birch bark or sassafras, or using an extract with it, but wanted to see what people thought. Maybe get some Root Beer or Birch Beer extract. Or just use the spruce essence.

I'd love to see recipes for brews like that. Thanks!

AlenGentry
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this also, I can brew a good beer, but I'm having a problem finding sassafras. If you find anything please let me know.

oldguy
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fully Fermented Hard Root Beer type drink Reply with quote

I am interested in low glycemic index root beers and ginger ales. This automatically excludes "soft drinks". I have been brewing live, cask conditioned bitter ales for over a decade and teach the art of brewing AKA the care and feeding of yeast - zymurgy.
---
I can create low glycemic index ales by fostering the creation of dexidrines in the mashing process. I am hoping to create reliable and repeatable practices for an equivalent root beer. The only valid starting place, as I see it, is to go back to the methods used in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Does anybody know of some references?
---
I chose this thread because it was the only one dealing with actual brewing.
---
Hop processes use infusion techniques, so I am going to guess, that the use of roots and herbs is similar. However, I know that the lupin extraction from the female hop flowers is very temperature and time sensitive. I suspect similar behaviours from the roots and herbs. Should one do this in the boil, in the secondary fermentation (a'la dry hopping), or in both?
---
Any clues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: