Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with taste -- Please help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DewMan29
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Problems with taste -- Please help! Reply with quote

New to the forum here. Nice to meet you all.

I started brewing Root Beer at home last Summer. I have done about 8 batches, and they taste has been awful on all of them. I have a thought that maybe it is the yeast I am using, but please help.

Here is what I am doing :

* I am using an extract purchased from a local beer brewing supply, I can't remember the brand name
* I clean the bottles and all equipment really well, using some sanitizer purchased from the brewing company
* The first batches I used ale yeast, but I had problems getting proper carbonation. By the latter batches, I was using store bought bread yeast.
* I leave the bottles in a dark room-temperature location to carbonate. Then I move them into our cold storage once carbonated. I don't open them until a minimum of 2 weeks of agin.
* There is plenty of carbonation, and the initial taste seems fine, but then there is a horrible bitter after taste. Originally I thought it was unclean bottles but in the latter batches I have cleaned the bottle very thoroughly (even using bleach) and it has not changed.

What am I doing wrong that is giving me the bad taste?

Thanks in advance ...

-DewMan

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it's the yeast. Most people aren't used to drinking yeast-carbonated root beer and find the yeast flavor unsavory. You might try using an injection approach.

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

MisterDominator
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with taste -- Please help! Reply with quote

hmmm good tip, kguske.

maybe adding some of the sugary slop to some seltzer water before adding the yeast would at least tell you how it should taste... I've been getting a funky taste with my champagne yeast, surprise - it winds up tasting like bitter champagne. trial and error, I guess...

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with taste -- Please help! Reply with quote

I'd switch back to the ale yeast, best damn stuff for homemaking soda.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: