Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different kinds of yeast...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew01292
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

What kind of yeast do you like to use and why (like ale yeast, lager yeast, bread yeast)?

dmckean44
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

Ale yeasts - Top ferementing, prefers room temperatures and will quickly die off in the refridgerator.

Lager yeasts - Bottom fermenting yeast that ferment at low temps. Most will quit carbonating once a certain pressure is reached, but ale yeast is still safer.

Bread yeast - unsuitable for root beer, the included nutrients with the yeast will over power the flavor of the soda.

Champane yeast - Dangerous for home bottling. The yeast will contiune to ferment even at extremely cool temps and under high pressures. Bottles will explode if using champane yeast.

Rasins - natural yeasts on rasins can carbonate soda. Drop in two per bottle.

Lactic acid cultures - You can also carbonate with lacic acid based cultures such a yogurt. These will create minimal alcohol and large amounts of lactic acid as it carbonates. The end result will be less yeasty but a little more sour.

andrew01292

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

thanks for your help here and on my other topic Smile

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

hot damn! Rasins, really?! tha's pretty cool.

I have also read that Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)
or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) are good neutral yeasts for root beer.

Matt
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

I just did a batch of Lemon-Lime soda, using champagne yeast. The result tasted remarkably like a mimosa (orange juice & champagne). It made me wonder whether each type of yeast has its own flavor, and whether these flavors need to be considered when brewing. I'm currently trying a batch of sarsaparilla (from extract) using Cooper's ale yeast ... wish me luck.

KarateExplosion
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Different kinds of yeast... Reply with quote

Yeah, different yeasts definitely have a different flavor. There are tables of the various yeasts and what flavors they add, which you can find at homebrew stores or probably online. I've tried Cooper's Ale Yeast, Brunton Gold, and champagne yeast, and the champagne yeast was definitely my favorite so far. It still added some taste to the root beer, but the taste wasn't as bad to me. I don't really like the flavor of regular ale yeasts in root beer.

Apparently wine makers add potassium metabisulfate to wine to kill off the yeast so it doesn't continue to ferment after a certain point. I'm planning to try that on my next batch of root beer using champagne yeast. I think that could help with preventing exploding bottles, and I wouldn't have to worry about drinking it off quickly to prevent it from completely fermenting the sugar. There's another chemical whose name I can't remember that some add to kill off the yeast that has adds a slightly sweet taste, so that might be a better one to use for root beer, I'm not sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: