Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non-root beer Sarsaparilla

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramp116
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: non-root beer Sarsaparilla Reply with quote

Growing up in a small town in southern Indiana, we had a real malt shop. (They owned one of the 30 foot long, solid marble malt/soda fountains made for the 1903 St. Louis Exhibition.) They served a sarsaparilla beverage that was red and slightly mediciney in taste. Looked like thick red pop with a kinda cough syrup like taste. This beverage was made from a syrup and carbonated water. This stuff was about as far from root beer as one can get. I was assured this was the Real, original, sarsaparilla drink and the use of sarsaparilla in root beer came later.

Does any one know anything about this red sarsaparilla drink?

Soda-MN-Good
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: non-root beer Sarsaparilla Reply with quote

Ol Bob Millers bottling had made a red "sasparilla." But I believe they went out of business a year ago. http://www.popsoda.com/olbobmilreds.html

I have a list of over 1800 sodas made within the US. Of course it's not with me, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple other red Sarsaparillas on it.

I know Anthony had tried at least the Old Mill brand, it's red. He didn't care for it if I remember.

Hosmer Mountain had a sarsaparilla, I think it had caffiene, but it's not on their site anymore.

anthony
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't say i know about such a thing. i imagine that the flavor may have been more natural, like the original root beers tasted before somewhat of a standard, expected root beer taste evolved. or was spread and popularized by Charles Hires.
but that is just a guess.
i have had a few red root beers and a couple of red sarsaparillas but that all seemed to be coloring anyway.
curous...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: