Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the importance of bottling?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimEggers
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: What is the importance of bottling? Reply with quote

Hello group,

Let me introduce myself briefly, my name is Tim and I am an amateur root beer maker. In fact my very first jug is currently fermenting now. I will grant you that I know virtually nothing about making root beer but I am happy to learn and am really having a lot of fun thus far. Ok as not to bore you any longer I'll proceed with my question.

What is the importance or significance of bottling?

Is there any reason that I can't make my root beer in a one-gallon jug and simply leave it in that jug until it is consumed? I am aware of the warm fermenting on the counter for a few days and then the chilling before serving which I do plan to abide by. Is bottling more for those who make the large batches (say 5 gallons or so) to produce a vessel for drinking or is there something gained by bottling that I am missing?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to future participation in this community!

See My BBQ Grill Coffee Roaster: http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/panroastingcoffee/mybbqcoffeeroaster.html

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not expert either, but I'm not aware of any reasons why you can't use a jug. Glass is stronger (less likely to explode), but if you're careful a jug will work.

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

pacidydoc
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the importance of bottling? Reply with quote

Tim, to answer your question the only special thing of bottling is the look. When i think of drinking root beer it is in a glass bottle not a old plastic water jug. Bottling is purely asthetic. In fact I would encourage you to make a root beer you like in a water jug and after you replicate it a couple times then attempt bottling. Bottling and Brewing are a science, seperate but at the same time they go together. Bottom line make it in a jug so you like it then worry about purchasing bottles, cleaning, sterilizing, capping. fermenting, storing, and so on... When I started brewing I started with bottles but now wish I would have used the jug.

PS...once you like your brew then try to bottle, its more fun and makes it look cool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: