Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-liter soda bottle and a 8g CO2 cartridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phazei
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: 2-liter soda bottle and a 8g CO2 cartridge Reply with quote

Would hooking a 8g CO2 cartridge cause a regular half filled 2l coke bottle to explode?

I've been looking all over for a nice tiny cheap little adapter that would let me hook that up. All I can find are expensive soda siphons. I don't really care about making the soda squirt out of hte bottle on it's own, I can just pour it out. I would just like to be able to carbonate whatever I'd like, juice, lemonade, milk, whatever else I'd like to try for the heck of it.

Anyone know of a cheap adapter I could hook up to any standard 2-liter soda bottle? I don't want a soda siphon with some special bottle since I might mess up the bottle.

Thanks

chuckjaxfl
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-liter soda bottle and a 8g CO2 cartridge Reply with quote

Here's the best I can do...

http://tinyurl.com/rf7ar
plus
http://tinyurl.com/s43g3

I've used neither of the pieces, therefore cannot speak to their quality. This is the closest thing I know of to what you're describing, though.

It's a route I considered before deciding to just go ahead and order some corny kegs and CO2 can and be done with it.

If you try it, let me know how it goes!

jfenton
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2-liter soda bottle and a 8g CO2 cartridge Reply with quote

phazei,

I use exactly what you are talking about. I put a tire valve into a 2L cap and pressurize the bottle using 8g cartridges. The "pump" is a tire inflater with a trigger. The burst pressure of a 2L is around 120 PSI from what I read. But this is bursting it will actually expand before bursting. It works great in terms of pressurizing, but I had trouble carbonating. I think that it was my tire valve cap and not the actual design.

The tire valve is a NAPA part <a href="modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&search_keywords=90-432&mode=results">#90-432</a>, Universal tubeless tire clamp. Just make a hole in the 2L cap and tighten down the tire valve. Attach the tire inflater and pressurize a little. Here is a link to read about the carbonator and tire valve caps.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=67281&hl=tire+valve

Oh, the carbonatore that chuck recommended is good, just expensive.

Later.

KellanH
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-liter soda bottle and a 8g CO2 cartridge Reply with quote

I've been using the exactly the equipment that you can see in Chuck's two links (I bought it at the local home brew beer supplier). The best thing about it is that you can judge how much pressure is in the bottle by how firm it feels. On my first attempt I thought the cap was leaking because I left it in the fridge overnight and the bottle was partially collapsed the next morning. Then I read the instructions again. The correct procedure it to squirt some CO2 into the bottle until it's firm, then shake it. It becomes soft again as the liquid absorbs the gas. Then you give it another blast and shake again, repeating until it stays firm, then leave it in the fridge to chill. It works, but it's hard to get consistent carbonation each time. Also, since there's no pressure gauge, it's easy to overdo it. I punched a hole in my ceiling when the safety valve blew!

You'll go through a lot of CO2 cartridges if you're going to be making much soda. I plan on making a lot, so I'm going to move up to a larger CO2 tank with a regulator like this:

http://www.ebrew.com/Products_S/cornelius_ball_draft_system.jpg

but I'm going to still use it on 1 and 2 liter bottles while I'm experimenting with recipes, then I can use the same system with a keg and eventually a counter-pressure bottle filler.

Good luck,
Kellan

crazylawnguy
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sell a cap that is called a carbonater(like 15.00) and there is a little keg charger that uses a co2 canister(runs 20-ish)they both can be found at home brewry stores.you have to squeze all the air out for the co2 to take well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: