Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offensive Coke commercial
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

I saw an offensive Coca Cola commercial this last weekend. I don't have a TV, so I don't know how long this has been going on; I saw this at a movie theatre. They showed a Coca Cola float being poured (in a thin-wall glass, no less) and posted the words, "Root beer, you had a good run" or something like that.

I will continue my decades-long boycott of Coca Cola, and I will also mention that I boycott the root beer that Coke distributes with its fountain beverages, Barq's, as it is adulterated with caffeine.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty sad to see a once great company (and, one of my former employers) lower its standards in an attempt to increase market share of its flagship product at the expense of another of its own products...

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

tallyrc
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barq's is nasty.. and since is occasionaly have heart PVC's i avoid caffein anyhow..

barqs_man
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

you guys suck
barqs is the best
nice and creamy
and exactly what a root beer should be
you need to not hold a grudge agaist coca cola for having that com.
lets face it
we are the few
the proud
the root beerholics
and barqs is the best i have ever had
so dont dis barqs
all rootbeer is good
but hands down
BARQ'S IS THE KING OF ROOT BEER
pm me if you disagree
long live the barqs

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barqs_man, as I mentioned, Barq's is adulterated with caffeine, and so I will not drink it. Maybe some day if they stop adding addictive substances to their soda I'll give it another shot. I am happy to say this publicly, not in a PM.

Look at tallyrc, he's apparently got PVC piping i n his chest; you gotta admit that it's better for him to avoid caffeine. For me, it's just a matter of personal choice. Avoidance of caffeine is one of hte reasons I enjoy root beer in the first place.

You need to calm down, perhaps caffeine reduction would be a good thing for you.

barqs_man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

caffine is good
i aint addicted
i just use it to calm down and get up in the morning
i will drink non caffine and caffine
i have no prefrance
but barqs is the best no dout

conman
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A&W IS THE BEST DUH ITS SO GOOD

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

Coca Cola owns the formula for my favorite rootbeer of all time, Fanta Rootbeer, which, instead of using, it keeps locked up somewhere. Now that is really offensive.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

Some other (welcome) changes in the root beer market:
- Frostie was sold to a company in Indiana (not sure if this means wider distribution, but hopefully)
- Cadbury Schweppes (which currently owns Stewart's, IBC, Hires and A&W) is considering selling is soft drink divisions (maybe some of it - e.g. HIRES - will be given to some company that wants to bring the original brand back from near extinction)

gagefx
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for Barq's, and I am actually on the hunt for other caffeinated root beers. I have had alot of root beers in my day and I'm currently on a quest to have all the boutique brands I can get my hands on, and I have yet to find one that even comes close to my enjoyment of Barq's.

Why not just drink Barq's? The only place I can seem to find it in LA is at Jack in the Box.

-GageFX

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the hundreds of brands I've tried, only 3 have contained caffeine:
- Barq's
- Rat Bastard
- Pirate's Keg (no longer has caffeine)

anthony
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

here is my current list, out of my 334 reviews, these had caffeine:

Barq’s
Skeleteen’s Rat Bastard Root Beer
Jack Black’s Dead Red Root Beer
XTZ X Root Beer Riot
Hot Rod Magazine Root Beer
Hosmer Mountain Sarsaparilla

rock on
-anthony

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Anthony. I had forgotten Jack Blacks (though it's really the same as Rat Bastard), and didn't realize that XTZ had it. I am surprised Hosmer Mountain has it - need to pay closer attention to the labels.

Cheers,

anthony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Offensive Coke commercial Reply with quote

are you sure Jack Blacks and Rat Bastard are the same? they are both made by Skeleteens, true, but the ingredients are quite different. and although i tried them years apart, i thought they tasted different also.
but you may be right.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not. I didn't care for either, really, and guessed food coloring was the only difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: