Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homemade root beer as my senior project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootbeermonger
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Homemade root beer as my senior project Reply with quote

As a graduation requirement, I must complete a huge research project with a physical project. I will research the prohibition and then brew root beer. I have been searching for a 100% home made recipe for so long my eyes are practically bleeding. But seriously, I need help. I want to make everything, so that rules out any kind of root beer syrup. I would like to use roots, but Im not sure if they are safe, something about causing cancer? Is that a danger? Also, Im not so suer about what kind of yeast to use. Does it really make that big of a difference? Whats a simple but good recipe? Any tips? My favorite root beer is IBC. I dont want to mimic the taste, but something like it? Any help is greately appreciated.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade root beer as my senior project Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I made rootbeer from scratch and back then all contained sassafras. A good, simple recipe contained sassafras root or bark, sarsaparilla root, and oil of wintergreen or sweet birch. I don't remember the proportions, but with only 3 ingredients to work with, you should be able to get it right by trial and error. All of these herbs should be available at large health food stores as "herb teas." Also, oil of wintergreen should be available in the "aromatherapy" department. Otherwise, there are online sources. Make sure that the oils are USP or food grade. Typically, essential oils are used at a rate of less than 1 drop per gallon so don't poison yourself with more. Add essential oils only after you have removed herb debris, otherwise, the devris will absorb the oil. Essential oils have low water solubility but a few minutes in blender will usually dissolve them.

Actually, I recommend using all essential oils. For sassafras free, see first formula here:

http://www.root-beer.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=121&sid=2f2df0590cb4672c6908032bd472f72a

You may not have access to all these ingredients, but it should give you ideas about creating your own formula.

I recommend that you carbonate in a seltzer bottle instead of using yeast.

rootbeermonger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade root beer as my senior project Reply with quote

Thanks! I was so worried about the extracts. Silly me, I thought it was ounce for ounce, root for extract. Should I just do one drop per gallon? Or do I need to find a special recipe using extracts? Seeing as how this is supposed to be all difficult and time-consuming, I may have to use real wintergreen and birch, as well as an extract for the sarsaparilla. Oh, I also have to use yeast. I am trying for making it as authentic as I can.

I understand the basic principle of root beer making up to the fermentation. Is it even called fermentation? How long do I let it ferment? Must I heat all the root beer once more before I put it into bottles, or just heat the bottles? My dad used to make beer, in that process he used a gas leak mechanism. It went on top of the bottle with all the beer in it and every so often it would release the gasses from the fermentation. Must I use one of those?

Thank you all very much!

Jeff

rootbeermonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade root beer as my senior project Reply with quote

I got a book called Homemade Root Beer Soda & Pop. Im planning on using the recipe for "Old-Fashioned Root Beer." Anyone have this recipe? Is it any good? And I also came up with another question to ask you all. How long does this stuff last when bottled?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: