Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cola recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: cola recipe Reply with quote

I am not sure of the source of my information, but it is my impression that the principal ingredients of cola are cola nut, cinnamon oil and lemon (maybe lime) oil.

They have to be blended in proportions such that the individual ingredients are not identifiable by taste. I remember a long time ago that Canfield cola reeked of cinnamon. Also, Pepsi seems more lemony than Coke to me, but that may just be my imagination.

arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coca Cola used to use an extract of coca leaves in their recipe. I do not recommend you attempt this at home.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

They actually still do except now they remove the cocaine.

I doubt it. In what countries are coca plants legally cultivated for Coca Cola and what do they do with all those tons of byproduct cocaine?

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aruzinsky, thanks for the laugh...

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

dmckean44
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aruzinsky wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

They actually still do except now they remove the cocaine.

I doubt it. In what countries are coca plants legally cultivated for Coca Cola and what do they do with all those tons of byproduct cocaine?

Saying that is like doubting the poppy seeds on top of your muffin are real. It's the same as how there are still a few root beers out there that use sassafras with the safrole removed.

I read in the book entitled 'For God, Country and Coca-Cola' one of the nine ingrediants was "coca leaf & cola nut extract" which would be different from using coca leaves but that does seem to suggest coca leaves are grown somewhere legally to make the extract. Theres actually only 8 ingrediants in coca-cola now because they no longer use fresh lime juice and instead added lime oil to the flavoring ingredient. (Of course its the flavoring ingredient that is the big secret that no knows.)

Plus decocainized coca is on the FDA's GRAS list:
http://www.grokfood.com/regulations/182.20.htm

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmckean44 wrote:

Saying that is like doubting the poppy seeds on top of your muffin are real.
Plus decocainized coca is on the FDA's GRAS list:
http://www.grokfood.com/regulations/182.20.htm

Okay, the GRAS list convinced me, but my doubt is warranted. First, morphine has legitimate medical uses whereas cocaine doesn't. Thus, even if morphine was removed from the poppy seed (which it is not), I wouldn't wonder what was done with that byproduct. I still want to know what they do with the cocaine byproduct of the cola industry.

Unlike with the opium poppy, with coca, one can get high from just chewing leaves. Opium extraction is a long process and I am guessing that is why anyone in the USA can buy Papaver Somniferum seeds out of a seed catalog for growing in their garden. I have never seen Coca seeds or plants for sale in the USA, although, circa 1960, I saw a coca plant growing at Garfield park conservatory in Chicago (that coca plant is long gone).

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm still around in 30 years to try your root beer, rootbeermakers02. Any chance it'll go into production sooner?

keoxa
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: cola recipe Reply with quote

Wikipedia has a decent, non-paranoid-conspiracy article about the CIA and Cocaine: Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!.

Also, Coca-Cola bottles most of there product in columbia. Coincidence? probably not. Plenty of Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! at wikipedia.

KellanH
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cola recipe Reply with quote

Here's a recipe:

http://www.colawp.com/colas/400/cola467_recipe.html

I've been told that it's important to use phosphoric acid, rather than just citric, to give it that cola bite.

Good luck,
Kellan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: