Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete Noob
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy8
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Noob Reply with quote

Well I think both recipes mentioned that they should be ready in 2-3 days so I will check carbonation tomorrow (Saturday). One recipe called for ale and the other actually called for Coopers, but I just substituted it for the champagne yeast. I will be sure to keep a close eye when its in the fridge though. Now with some of the research I have done, I came across something that said "Brewing Yeast" is the same thing as "ale yeast". I only mention this because I got the champagne yeast, coopers brewing yeast, and an ale yeast. So I don't know if I kind of got two packets of the same type of yeast then. I also find it interesting how Coopers yeast is recommended/suggested by name. Not sure if there is anything to that either..lol

I did just look at my bottles and one thing I am noticing is that the yeast is working but the bubbles are very very tiny. I wonder if that's a characteristic of champagne yeast? I am also wondering if maybe that means it will take a bit longer to reach a high CO2 level? I do have one batch in a 2 liter bottle so I can probably use that as my test bottle to squeeze and check the CO2 levels. I also wonder if even when the plastic bottle as "tightened up" from the CO2, if I shouldn't let the stuff in glass bottles go a bit longer, since they are glass and can handle it more? Well after I try these two batches maybe I will try the coopers or ale yeast and see how those work, if I don't like the champagne yeast. That's the great part in all of this is the experimentation to find exactly what you're looking for. The one thing I would love to have in my root beers is that nice foamy head that so many root beers have.

iolar
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Noob Reply with quote

I use an ale yeast for my home-made sodas, but champagne yeast should be fine. The different type of yeasts will affect the taste, and also champagne yeast will generate more carbonation and more alcohol than a beer yeast.

The small bubbles are a GOOD thing! The smaller the bubbles, the more the CO2 is going into solution, and the fizzier the drink will be. Large bubbles are not as desirable - that means more of the CO2 is just going into the air-gap at the top of the bottle and not into solution in the liquid.

Unless you practically freeze the brew, I've found that MOST yeasts keep working (a little), even in the frig. The only way to completely kill yeast is to add something like sodium benzoate (that is why you find sodium benzoate as a preservative in many foods -- it is a fungicide, which means that it kills yeasts also).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: