Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site is lacking...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soda-MN-Good
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Site is lacking... Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, this site is suppose to be all things root beer. So I find it hard that while researching what is available out there, that your list of brands does not mention whether they are active or inactive or when they went out of business.

I very much prefer glass bottled root beer over all others. Problem however is that by looking at this site. One would be able to see hundreds of brands in each state, but never know if the brand is still available or how it's packaged other than a picture. Though even with a picture, the manufacturer could offer other packaging options.

Any chance you can ad a check box and/or the ability to just show active brands that are available today?

Also would be nice to know what packaging availability there is? Only on tap? Kegs? 2 liters? Glass? Cans? Plastic? However it can be purchased.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I think information / pictures on over 2500 brands of root beer is enough, but I find it hard to agree with your premise... Smile

On a serious note, we are looking into provide additional information on ingredients / sweeteners, carbonation method and availability (active / inactive, locations), but haven't previously considered packaging alternatives. With so many available brands, we would definitely need the ability for site members to contribute this information in a manageable way.

If we can make availability by country / state, it would make it easier to locate by using a map (currently, searching by map - which has been available since 2003 - shows where the brand was born). Maybe we could have a map that shows which stores carry which brands... Maybe availability is determined by having one or more locations defined... (the wheels start turning...)

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

anthony
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i would love to have an "active/inactive" indicator on here. i did ask for it a couple years ago actually. =) but i understand it is difficult to do.
i mean, heck, i only have about 750 root beers in my database and it is hard to manage them.
availability, for me, is simply where it can be bought, which is very difficult to maintain. but readers will probably help out a lot with that. i know mine correct me all the time. if it is not an active brand i mark it as such in my database.
i plan to make a map at some point myself but have yet to get around to it. having to click the state name does not seem so hard to me.

anthony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Site is lacking... Reply with quote

here is where i asked for it to happen in 2005.
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
Kevin you said you would start working on it then, it has been over 4 years, it must be quite an undertaking! Laughing
bute seriously it would be helpful.
thanks!

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I've changed jobs twice since then and done lots of other stuff, too. But your gentle nudging and positive reinforcement (a la "site is lacking") are powerful motivators... Cool

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be more useful - being able to find availability for a specific brand, or finding locations nearby that carry one or more brands?

anthony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me, knowing whether a brand even is made anymore or not is the most important.
but i suppose if you had locations that carry brands, then those brands would be current brands.
i suspect the 2nd is much much harder though. i cannot even imagine where to start doing that, unless it is a very small brand or a single site thing.

musicfan2222
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Site is lacking... Reply with quote

It is good to see the three brains of root beer all trying to make it easier for the rest of us to locate and obtain our brews. I like Josh's idea, but agree with you Kevin, you would have to quit your job and do this full time AND hire a staff to get us all the updated information. I do like the idea of some how getting the information of brand availablity somehow from your members......... Thanks to all three of you for your time and effort you put forth.

Soda-MN-Good

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to make it as easy for the developer as possible and let the subscribers edit themselves. Just as wikipedia does.

I'm no programmer and I'm sure an active check box saying whether a product is active or inactive wouldn't work as sinister people would play around and turn it on and off to mess with the site.

You could assign "moderators" and allow those people "manager" access to the site and let them monitor submissions of products found and where they find them and allow those people to edit the present descriptions. There's plenty of people out there that could find free time here and there to check a box of products they know are available in their area and and a comment here and there or designate emails from subscribers to them and have them sort out the locations and brands sent to them by other subscribers.

The other idea would sway more towards creating some sort of review option for each brand and subscribers could post comments on certain brands, like where they found the product or whether they know of when the product went out of business. This setup could also be monitored by "moderators" assigned by you so that you don't have to carry the burden.

example: I'm searching the site and find "Dorothy Muelters Isle of Pine root beer". I then click the link next to the brand or within the brand description and the link takes me to a page which asks if the product is active (check box) and store, city/state that you can find it.

once the subscriber clicks the submit button, this info will go to either a moderator by email, or into a different page of which only moderators can view and whichever moderator is logged in at any given time will be able to see if the suggestion has been handled by a different moderator, or if still needs someone to review it. From there the moderator can choose to upload the info to the site as good tips, or delete it as junk info.

By having the active/inactive check box, you could then add this option as a sort feature in the US map area in which only brands that are still available will show. or vice versa someone can see all inactive brands and maybe find a few that they remember seeing in a store but didn't find them on the site originally.

whew, that was long winded.....

Soda-MN-Good

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Site is lacking... Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
here is where i asked for it to happen in 2005.
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
Kevin you said you would start working on it then, it has been over 4 years, it must be quite an undertaking! Laughing
bute seriously it would be helpful.
thanks!

I know it may seem we're coming down hard on you...

But after a little research, it's actually been 7 years that the availablity option and ability to choose which is your favorite brand was suggested.

Who suggested it?

You did....

Here is the first post posted to the forums in 2003 and states "Start here for information on posting to the Root Beer World forums"

"The Root Beer World forums were created to provide a way for root beer fans all over the world to discuss brands (new brands, availability, history, favorites), collectibles / antiques, and general topics on root beer."

7 years and you haven't even finished your mission statement...lol Laughing

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes...all I can say is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. At any rate, I do hope to do this, still...

Soda-MN-Good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Site is lacking... Reply with quote

No pressure from us....take your time.... Razz

anthony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course you can always check my site for availability, as far as i know or have been told. although my database is not as extensive as Kevin's, i do my best. =)

-anthony

plaintomato
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the ability to submit user reviews under the brand link. And have an aggregate review score at the top. People could then provide valuable info in the reviews.

Just sayin'. But I'm new 'round these parts so don't mind me...

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on the software than runs this site (there have been MANY releases since this one...)

The new version will make it easier to implement user reviews under the brand links, so we might get that before availability - but I am hopeful that 2012 is the year!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: