Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Root Beer in Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Root Beer in Literature Reply with quote

Mention of root beer in literature.

I'll start off with Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead:

p. 293 (Signet paperback edition):
Quote:
The Council of American Builders met once a month and engaged in no tangible activity, beyond listening to speeches and sipping an inferior brand of root beer. Its membership did not grow fast, either in quantity or in quality. There were no concrete results achieved.

p. 661:
Quote:
That woman sitting on the stoop of an old brownstone house, her fat white knees spread apart - the man pushing the white brocade of his stomach out of a cab in front of a great hotel - the little man sipping root beer at a drugstore counter - the woman leaning over a stained mattress on the sill of a tenement window - the taxi driver parked on a corner - the toothless woman selling chewing gum - the man in shirt sleeves, leaning against the door of a poolroom - they are my masters. My owners, my rulers without a face.

Rand seems to equate root beer with mediocrity. I won't comment on the quality of her writing, except to say that I thought a thread allegedly about literature would be of more general interest than one about propoganda.

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Root Beer in Literature Reply with quote

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! is apparently the title of a book by Norma Q. Hare and Rosalie Davidson., Garrard Publishing Co. 1977. Amazon.com has no reviews of this book and only this for a description:
Quote:
Four insects, Bee, Ant, Bug, and Butterfly, find an empty root beer can and, in their search for its owner, become fast friends.

The book is only 39 pages, and I have to suspect it's intended for children. I haven't read it myself.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - what a disappointment to find Ayn Rand's treatment of root beer (and those who drink it). I've read most of her books, but didn't pick up on that (it was over 20 years ago...).

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Root Beer in Literature Reply with quote

I read Who is Root Beer and found it to be an involving, well-paced story about talking insects. One of them can read, and reads the label on a can of root beer. They spend the rest of the story wondering who is this "root beer" who lives in the can. IMHO the story was more engaging, and the characters more believable, than in anything Ayn Rand ever published. Nice illustrations as well, which is more than I can say for The Fountainhead.

The intended age group is probably 6 and under.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: