Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

This is a public service announcement.

According to

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

1 oz of Neotame costs $48 and has the sweetening power of 500 lbs. of sugar. Thus, whereas a typical price for a 4 lb. bag of sugar is $2, the equivalent of neotame costs $0.38 . I am going to guess that that is even cheaper than high fructose corn syrup.

Also, see

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

Swagger
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

Kind of expensive to experiment with, who's first? I would like to try Stevia some time to supplement sugar. Licorice is also a good sweetner.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

Swagger wrote:
Kind of expensive to experiment with, who's first? I would like to try Stevia some time to supplement sugar. Licorice is also a good sweetner.

If, for some unlikely reason, it is unsuitable for root beer, you can probably use in your coffee or tea. I don't like stevia because it has a long aftertaste.

I bought 2 oz of sucralose from that company and it and the company appear to be fine. I might buy neotame in the near future.

Swagger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

Was it a bad aftertaste?

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

Swagger wrote:
Was it a bad aftertaste?

The sucralose had a longer sweet aftertaste than sugar but not as long as stevia. Since you like the long aftertaste of licorice, it shouldn't matter to you. But, sucralose is about the same price as sugar based on equal sweetness so there is no economic reason for using it.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Artificial Sweetener, Neotame, is Cheaper Than Sugar Reply with quote

I purchased the generic neotame and it was a disappointment for the following reason:

I diluted it at the rate of 0.06 grams per gallon of water which is supposed to simulate the sweetness of 1 pound per gallon of sugar. The first sip tasted properly sweet but each successive swallow was less sweet until by, maybe, by the fifth swallow, it tasted about 30% as sweet as it should. Apparently, it has a desensitizing effect on my tongue. If my reaction is typical, neotame will never achieve wide spread use. Also, I tested neotame in combination with 1 gram per gallon stevia extract. The stevia actually decreased the sweetness.

In contrast, stevia extract (1 g/gal) was synergistic in combination with sucralose (0.5 g/gal) and I highly recommend that combination for sweetening beverages.

My source of stevia extract was http://purebulk.com/stevia-extract-90 and I bought this scale, AMW ES-100, for weighing to 0.01 gram accuracy, http://purebulk.com/scales-digital-gram-weight . Incidentally, Pure Bulk has unusually low shipping and handling rates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: