Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need some help with malt extracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
August717
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: I need some help with malt extracts Reply with quote

Hello all! First time poster here, and hopefully you can help me...

So I was wandering through a renaissance fair, when my girlfriend saw a gathering of people. Interest piqued, she dragged me over to take a look, and found a small group of mead brewers. She was extremly interested and so started talking to them all while I glanced over some of the other items they had for sale. My father being a home brewer of beer has given me a bit of knowledge in the art, and I recognized most of what they had. Then I ran across a bottle of root beer extract. It dawned on me that I was able to 'brew' my own root beer! I asked the man for some help which he gladly offered, and I walked away with some root beer extract and a few large cans of malt extract (pale, amber, and dark).

Well, long story short, from the reading I've done, malt extracts are all used to 'flavor' the root beer, but I have found nothing telling me how to use it! Am I missing something or did I purchase something I don't need?

crazylawnguy
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some help with malt extracts Reply with quote

you probly can use malt.i havent seen any recipes using it though.

this is how i would test it

take 16 oz water and 2 tablespoons of sugar add a little bit of the malt till it taste the best. keep track of that amount.

now take half the amount of malt. and add it to a glass of un carbonated rootbeer .mix and taste. if you cant taste it add a little at a time. if its to strong use less.

if its nasty dont use it.it should work.ive used a sweet hops tea and it worked pretty good.

some concentrates blend well and some dont keep that in mind.

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: I need some help with malt extracts Reply with quote

August717 wrote:
Hello all! First time poster here, and hopefully you can help me...

So I was wandering through a renaissance fair, when my girlfriend saw a gathering of people. Interest piqued, she dragged me over to take a look, and found a small group of mead brewers. She was extremly interested and so started talking to them all while I glanced over some of the other items they had for sale. My father being a home brewer of beer has given me a bit of knowledge in the art, and I recognized most of what they had. Then I ran across a bottle of root beer extract. It dawned on me that I was able to 'brew' my own root beer! I asked the man for some help which he gladly offered, and I walked away with some root beer extract and a few large cans of malt extract (pale, amber, and dark).

Well, long story short, from the reading I've done, malt extracts are all used to 'flavor' the root beer, but I have found nothing telling me how to use it! Am I missing something or did I purchase something I don't need?

Where did you read to use malt extract? Does it taste like it belongs in root beer? It would be better to flavor root beer with scotch which is made from malt, not that I recommend it.

To digress, I once bought a can of brewer's malt extract because I thought I could make malted milk shakes with it, but it didn't taste right.

August717

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some help with malt extracts Reply with quote

crazylawnguy - I'll give that a try and see how it works out... I didn't realize how much experimentation there was in root beer! It actually fits as a hobby better now with all the different types of things you can try...

And how did you use the sweet hops tea? Got a recipe? Very Happy

aruzinsky - I didn't read anywhere to use the malt extract, I just talked to a guy selling it and root beer extracts. Yeah, I should have done some research first... Although I don't think he was lying, I'm not entirely sure he ever made root beer... I will make some root beer (with some normal recipes) and then add the malt for flavoring to see how it tastes... I'll let you know how it goes! Do you know what malt extracts are used for normally?

crazylawnguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some help with malt extracts Reply with quote

malt extract is used in beer brewing,

a small amount would probly work in rootbeer.but its not a main ingredient.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: