Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Root Beer how?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tribeofone
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Hard Root Beer how? Reply with quote

I already brew my own beer and wine. I know I will be making an extract batch of root beer for the Holidays soon. Have any of you actually tried and succeeded at making a good drinkable root beer that had an actual alcohol content of over 2-3%? I am curious as to where to start. I mean the brewer in me says start with 1 gallon batches and try to make a good root beer and just boost the sugar content, add maltodextrin and some other nonfermentable sugars for flavor, but the rest of me wants something that looks like a beer recipe to work with as guidelines.

kguske
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried. There are a few brewers, including Sam Adams, who have done this.

So heres a tribute toast with root beer in hand to you and the many mugs of suds along your happy trails. --Charles Wysocki, artist and root beer fan, 1928-2002

tribeofone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done. I made it. I am going to make it again after consulting some other brewers. The first batch is very spicy and almost excessively alcoholic. Somewhere between 11-12% as that is the level that ferments to before quiting. I am glad that I didn't use a champagne yeast as those would typically reach 17%. I used a 1056 American ale yeast. I used too much sugar as it is almost too sweet to drink so much so that the sweetness almost completely masks the heat from the alcohol. it has very little head. I know adding malto-dextrin will fix that. I will remember to update my progress, if I make any with the next batch.

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Root Beer how? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this all week. I wonder if a very simple beer grain bill would work out really nice. Somehting with, day, 90% pale base malt, and then maybe some roasted barley and maybe a little something that has a little spicy kick to it. Cane sugar just ferments out so completely and doesn't really give much in the way of flavor profile that is desireable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: