Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

here is a base root beer recipe from scratch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylawnguy
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

disregard this recipe, go to close to modern rootbeer posted 6/1/08

to make root beer from oils . cut the sassafrass(loranns oils) 50/50 with alcohol shake well. to make a test sample take 1/4 cup sugar,16oz water 3 drops sassafrass, 20 drops sarsaparilla(natures answers) (liquid vitaman(1.1)1 teaspoon vinala extract.1/4 teaspoon molasses. this gets you a good base.
you may have to adjust sweetness
then you can add any other flavors such as.wintergreen,licorice,anise,ginger.allspice,clove.etc

taste after each drop and mix well it is best to waite a little while for the flavors to blend.

you can use seltzer water or a carbonater to get the finished flavor.

if you can find a sarsaparilla oil or extract it would take much less and be cheeper.(please send me the site if you find it)

hope this helps. p.s this will be pretty much clear. but will taste like rootbeer. if you have to have it dark you can add carmel color or food color.

Last edited by crazylawnguy on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
KarateExplosion
Root Beer Follower
Root Beer Follower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

After months of messing with it, with crazylawnguy and aruzinsky's help I finally came up with pretty much the same recipe. Last night I tried this out with my friends, and they all enjoyed it and agreed that it tasted like root beer (I think they were surprised).

My recipe:
0.03oz mexican sarsaparilla root (shredded)
1 juniper berry
1 tsp vanilla extract
25 drops propylene glycol
2 drops wintergreen oil
1 drop anise oil
1/4 tsp molasses
5 drops concentrated lemon juice (for acidity)
1/3 cup sugar
22 oz water

Place sarsaparilla and juniper berry in tea bag. Bring water to boil, then lower it so it is not boiling and add tea bag. Sit for 10 minutes, then remove tea bag. Add sugar, vanilla, mollasses, lemon juice.

Separately, to a test tube I got from my local brewing store (or if you have a small bottle like crazylawnguy), add propylene glycol, wintergreen, and anise oil. Shake lightly to mix for a bit, add a little water, cork it, shake thoroughly, then add the whole thing to the above wort. I usually fill the test tube half full, cork it again, shake, and add that to the wort also, to get any leftover flavoring since it is so concentrated.

To carbonate, I cool it to near freezing, then use a carbonator cap and a CO2 tank. Add CO2, shake until the bottle feels unpressurized, add more CO2, repeat until bottle stays pressurized. You could also use carbonated water from the store, or a setzer bottle.

Alternatively it could be carbonated with yeast, but that's been covered pretty thoroughly in other threads.

I'm not sure how much the sarsaparilla actually adds to the flavor. I'm going to try to add a little more next time. I think the flavor I thought was sarsaparilla, which I didn't like, was actually licorice, so I'm not sure what flavor that adds now.

I'll post more recipes as I find more interesting flavors. This, to me, matches some extracts I have bought pretty closely. It almost has too much anise, but that just gives it a very high licorice flavor which I actually like. It reminds me a lot of Hoptech's flavor number 1 I think. I'm hoping to get something more like flavor 2 at some point, which tastes less licoricey, but has something else I'm not sure of.

At some point I'll also post recipes that have been scaled up to 2 liters, once I finally make a larger batch. I also plan to try adding gum arabic for a foam stabilizer, but the one time I've tried that I ended up with pieces of chewy gum floating in my root beer. I'm assuming I'm not mixing it right. And sassafras of course.

Edit: Edited for correctness. 1/3 cup sugar, not 1/4

aruzinsky
Root Beer Connoisseur
Root Beer Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

crazylawnguy wrote:

cut the sassafrass(loranns oils) 50/50 with alcohol shake well.

That is not sassafras oil.

See http://www.root-beer.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=118&sid=f32071bb925e7ba50944d13e35c6c9f9

Also, I doubt that what people have selling as "sarsaparilla oil" is from sarsaparilla.

crazylawnguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

the sasafrass is not a real oil it is a flavoring (but it works)

the sarsaparilla extract"claims its real"it also works. if it works why try worrying about get something you cant obtain?

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

crazylawnguy wrote:
the sasafrass is not a real oil it is a flavoring (but it works)

It works but it is not from scratch. You may as well use the "Root Beer Oil" sold by Loranns. The main purpose of doing things from scratch is to not rely on a particular vendor's proprietary products. The exact formulation of Lorann's "sassafras oil" is a secret and if the company went out of business you would have no source for that ingredient.

crazylawnguy wrote:
the sarsaparilla extract"claims its real"it also works. if it works why try worrying about get something you cant obtain?

By law, they are required to label the ingredients. In advertising, they can lie. What does the label say?

crazylawnguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

sarsaparilla ingredients: sarsaparilla exract 1.1 other ingred.usp purified water,coconut glycerin,12-19% certified organic alcohol.

product name: natures answer (sarsaparilla) this is for testing purpose(to expensive) i found a suply cheaper and is supose to be real extract also.will post later.

aruzinsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

crazylawnguy wrote:
sarsaparilla ingredients: sarsaparilla exract 1.1 other ingred.usp purified water,coconut glycerin,12-19% certified organic alcohol.

product name: natures answer (sarsaparilla) this is for testing purpose(to expensive) i found a suply cheaper and is supose to be real extract also.will post later.

Thank you. Maybe, I will buy some. What does it taste like and how strong is its flavor?

crazylawnguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

the sarsaparilla i am using now is from nature's answer it runs 13.00 a 1 ounce bottle ( too expensive but that was all i could find at the time)it is a 1.1 ratio bottle and takes 15-20 drops a 12-16 oz bottle.the flavor is very good. to test it take like 4 oz sugar water and add 4 drops stir and taste .then add more 1 drop at a time.till it taste right to you.its the soft flavor in the backround.

karate-explosion gave me this site mountianroseherbs.com .

they have a 1ounce bottle i believe is 8-9 dallors but it is a 1.4 ratio 4x stronger. (dont know if its real i am going to order today(will post if real or not)

i have a more finished recipe i will post shortly.(very drinkable)

crazylawnguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: here is a base root beer recipe from scratch Reply with quote

they claim it is a real extract also i orderd 4 oz its a 1.4 ratio at mountianroseherbs.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: