Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drive In Root Beer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kink
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Drive In Root Beer Reply with quote

It is now drive in root beer season. In my hometown we have Siminton Lake Drive In which isn't too bad. But one of my favorites by far is Carlson's in Michigan City Indiana. Great food and root beer. This year they are making their own cream soda also, will have to give it a try. They have a frosty mug that is one quart in size. If anyone has some great stands around them let us all know. I am always looking for great root beer!

Thanks Kink

centaura
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive In Root Beer Reply with quote

Where is Carlson's? I'm not too far from Michigan City, and it might be a fun stop at some point this summer. Thanks,

-Centaura

kink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive In Root Beer Reply with quote

Hey Centaura, How was the Dang ? Go thru downtown in Michigan City on Franklin till you come to Coolsprings Ave. Turn right on Coolsprings if coming from the north. Carlson's is on the left hand side right across from Bubbles Ice Cream. It is awesome. Small town root beer stand that has Americana written all over it. My only problem is the reason I am in Michigan City is the retail outlets (for my wife) and The Blue Chip for me.

Thanks Kink

GlassBottleSoda
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm, never heard of Carlson's. I'll have to check it out.

arcticpenguin
Root Beer Freak
Root Beer Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrel Drive-In
206 US Highway 18W
Clear Lake, Iowa

I haven't been there in a couple years, so can't be sure that it's still a going concern.

I happened across Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! by someone who likes their fried chicken. I liked their root brew when I was there.

kink

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Drive In Root Beer Reply with quote

Stopped at Carlson's tonight and it was still fab. The root beer was great and I had to try their new cream soda brewed like their root beer. It was terrific.

Thanks Kink

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restaurant review in the Indianapolis Business Journal:

Quote:

This month, we’re visiting restaurants that are drink-identified—those as tied to their beverage specialties as they are to their food. And even though the weather probably won’t hold out too much longer, we would be remiss if we didn’t pay tribute to Indy’s nearly 50- year-old drive-in, Mug n Bun (5211 W. 10th St., 244-5669). The anchoring element of any meal at this Speedway landmark is the dark, delicious root beer—on this visit, alas, served in a plastic-lidded cup instead of the titular mug. Of course, any food connoisseur understands that drinking quality root beer out of a frosted glass mug is as, if not more, important as drinking brandy out of a snifter or Boone’s Farm out of a paper bag.

arcticpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The highlight was lunch at Carlson's Drive-In on Coolspring Avenue, opened in 1955, complete with pretty carhops who latch trays to your car windows. Carlson's may not be a wonder on par with Notre Dame football, but it is a wonder nonetheless.

The place is famous for its root beer, made from scratch. Root beer can be sweet -- too sweet, for my tastes, and I ordered it reluctantly, the way a person finding himself in a town crowning its turnip king will surrender and order the famous turnip mash.

The root beer came in a frosty glass mug and was -- mirabile dictu -- not too sweet, but smooth and subtle and flavorful and a good compliment to the kraut dog and onion rings I ordered.

Two exceptional things happened at Carlson's. First, after lunch, I tried to order an additional mug of cream soda, to see if it stood up to the root beer. The carhop said that they offer free tastes, and hurried back with this dear little wee pony mug of cream soda -- it was so cute, and I don't normally like cute. But I liked this, holding it up for the family to admire. We all said, "Awwww . . . "

At that point the owner, John Hermann, drifted by, sweeping up crumbs in the parking lot. He asked how our lunch was, and I said it was fine, and we were very happy to have encountered the place.

"We're one of the best-kept secrets in Northwest Indiana," he said. There isn't much in Northwest Indiana that isn't a secret to Chicagoans, except for the decay of Gary, but of course I didn't say that. What I said was, "I bet you lose a lot of those glass mugs."

"We go through $7,000 worth of mugs a season," he said, blaming breakage and theft.

Then came the second exceptional thing. I liked the root beer so much I bought a half gallon to take home. When the jug was brought to the car, I was surprised to see it was cold -- drawn from the tap.

"Do I have to keep this chilled?" I asked, and he said I did.

"How far are you going?" he asked. I told him Chicago, but we were stopping by the auto museum in town.

He went inside, filled a 5-gallon bucket with ice, then nestled the jug within the ice.

One can serve root beer in a wax paper cup, and most are satisfied with that. The added sensual bonus of a cold glass mug is a subtle thing, but one that John Hermann feels is worth taking $7,000 off his bottom line every year. I drove away filled with admiration for that fealty to an ideal, to that refusal to lunge at the cheaper way that is only a little less good. I felt as if I had left a monastery or some such similar holy place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Brands All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: