Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yeast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibb
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: yeast Reply with quote

ok no responces in "questions" so i'll try here:
ok so i posted this in the "forum index" i believe so let me try here - oh the extract i refer to is hoptech #1:
hello to all - first post here - at home (arbutus, md) : third attempt at making root beer.
i grew up loving Frosty root beer (where can i get some?). recently, after a long sabatical, i tried "Natural Brew" from the grocery store and loved it. then my store stopped carring it . in searching the internet to try to buy it myself i discovered "hop tech", etal and home brewing (making) of root beer. so i bought some [url "http://hoptech.com/cart/cart.php?target=product&product id=16163&catogory id=264"]extract[/url], had some white sugar at home, cleaned ah jug and used some yeast from a pizza mix (ok, stop laughing) and made ah batch. i guess it sat for 4 days and i tried it - wasn't too bad but did have a undesirable after taste - i guess one could say it didn't "finish well". my 2nd batch prepared the same way except the substitution of 1/2c brown sugar for 1/2 c wht.,
some indian sasparella - boiled for a while and a few days longer sitting produced something slightly worst. now i am making my third batch the same as the first with ah bit more yeast and ah bit less sugar. just a little of each and will let it sit 7 days maybe 5 fer sure. so to my question about yeast - is the pizza dough yeast causing the after taste? what am i doing wrong? how can i make decent to good to great root beer? help me.

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: yeast Reply with quote

gibb wrote:
so to my question about yeast - is the pizza dough yeast causing the after taste? what am i doing wrong? how can i make decent to good to great root beer? help me.

most likely, the answer to your question is yes. There several variables when dealing with yeast and fermentation, some of the biggies to keep in mind outside of external factors are type, quality & temperature.

For root beer you are best off avoiding pizza yeast, and go get yourself some nice beer yeast for making ale (not lager) that will impart as little flavors as possible. You can get either dry or liquid forms, either work fine and dry is cheaper.

If you have yeast that's been sitting around for 6 months or more, it probably is no longer any good, time to get more.

Ale yeasts are kept most happy between 65-75 F in general, above that temp will cause off flavors, and below that temp may not ferment.

hope this helps. welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: