Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news

Root Beer World - root beer history, brands, recipes, news
A World of Root Beer Resources

In Association with Amazon.com

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Root Beer World: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Brew glass bottles?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
everettjack
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Home Brew glass bottles? Reply with quote

We have tried making two different batches of home made rootbeer using glass bottles both cap type and beer ceramic wire pull down 1 qt. bottles & both times the mix did not ferment properly. Is problem with the use of glass bottles vs. plastic or what? With first batch we bottled right away while mix was still warm and second one we waited until at room temperature. Any thoughts welcome please as we had to dump both times after letting ferment for weeks!

Salvo
Root Beer Fan
Root Beer Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Brew glass bottles? Reply with quote

Hey Jack,

I recently found this recipe, and have had really good luck with it. I used Zaterains and Rainbow extracts in equal proportions and actually added more than the recipe called for. I got my supplies at 'homebrew heaven' on Evergreen Way. This was the most effervescent root beer that I've ever bottled.

For one gallon
• 1 Cup White Table Sugar
• 1 ½ Cups Dark Brown Sugar
• 2 tablespoons Malto Dextrin • 1 tablespoon Root Beer Extract
• ¼ teaspoon Champagne Yeast
• 1 Gallon of Cold Water (-one cup)

1. Fill a one gallon container with cold water. Now remove 1 cup of water from the jug and discard it. All of the water required for the recipe is now in the gallon container. Measuring the water in this way will save time and prevent you from adding to much or to little water later.
2. Place 4 cups of water from the container into a sauce pan and begin to heat it. It is not necessary to bring the water to a boil. Heating this small amount of water will help dissolve the sugars and will make a better soft drink.
3. Add the white sugar, brown sugar and malto-dextrin to the sauce pan and stir until the sugars are completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved turn off the heat.
4. Add 1 Tablespoon of Root Beer Extract to the sauce pan and stir it in.
5. Add the remaining water to the sauce pan and stir well. Check the temperature of the mixture by carefully touching the outside of the pan. It should be cool to slightly warm. It may be necessary to allow the pan to sit covered for a short time in order to cool.
6. Open the packet of champagne yeast by cutting off a corner. Measure out 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and add it to the sauce pan. Close the yeast packet by folding over the open corner and sealing it with tape. Store the remaining yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.
7. Stir the sauce pan until the yeast is completely dissolved. You are now ready to bottle your root beer.

For 5 gallons
• 5 Cups White Table Sugar
• 6 ½ Cups Dark Brown Sugar
• 10 Tablespoons Malto Dextrin • 5 Tablespoon Root Beer Extract
• 1 ¼ teaspoon Champagne Yeast
• 5 Gallons of Cold Water (-five cups)

For 4 gallons
• 4 Cups White Table Sugar
• 6 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
• 8 Tablespoons Malto Dextrin • 4 Tablespoon Root Beer Extract
• 1 teaspoon Champagne Yeast
• 4 Gallons of Cold Water (-four cups)

For 3 gallons
• 3 Cups White Table Sugar
• 4 ½ Cups Dark Brown Sugar
• 6 Tablespoons Malto Dextrin • 3 Tablespoon Root Beer Extract
• ¾ teaspoon Champagne Yeast
• 3 Gallon of Cold Water (-3 cups)

everettjack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[QUOTE="Salvo"]Hey Jack,

I recently found this recipe, and have had really good luck with it. I used Zaterains and Rainbow extracts in equal proportions and actually added more than the recipe called for. I got my supplies at Thanks. However, didn't see anything about the bottles? We bought everything at Homebrew Heaven. I think there is problem using these snap down ceramic/rubber stopper bottles.

Laughingcenter
Root Beer Fantasizer
Root Beer Fantasizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Brew glass bottles? Reply with quote

everettjack wrote:
We have tried making two different batches of home made rootbeer using glass bottles both cap type and beer ceramic wire pull down 1 qt. bottles & both times the mix did not ferment properly. Is problem with the use of glass bottles vs. plastic or what? With first batch we bottled right away while mix was still warm and second one we waited until at room temperature. Any thoughts welcome please as we had to dump both times after letting ferment for weeks!

There shouldn't be any inherent problem with using glass. Sanitation is my first thought with most of my brewing problems, so maybe runthrough and make sure the bottles have been well sanitized.

The next thought is temperature. If you are using ale yeast you want to pitch between 65-75 depending on the yeast. If you are using liquid it is usually on the package. If you are using dry yeast, it is best to rehydrate in 1/4 cup water (preferrably that has been boiled and cooled to roughly above temperature) for about 15 minutes or so before introducing it to the wort.

Only other thing I can think of is under pitching. I used about 1/4 teaspoon for a 1 gallon batch the other day, and had great carbonation in 48 hours.

Hope this helps. If all else fails, buy a keg! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Root Beer World Forum Index -> Home Brewing All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: